The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa

Cover Art Courtesy of Goodreads
Coming in hot with my first romantic comedy review of the year! This is a genre I started exploring last year and really fell in love with, so I was eager to get to The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa.

Lina is a jilted bride. Her fiance Andrew decided to leave her the morning of their wedding, and make his brother (and best man) break the news. Ironically enough, Lina is a professional wedding planner, and she has to push through her career even though her own wedding experience was traumatizing. Fast forward to Lina getting an amazing job opportunity, but in order to ace the interview, she has to work on a proposal with none other than Andrew's brother Max.

The thing about romantic comedies is that you absolutely know what's going to happen at the end...it's just the small details along the way that are missing. This one was no different. That being said I can still enjoy the journey even though that ending is predictable as long as the characters and added story elements are good.

I loved all the references to Brazilian culture in this read, and how much Lina's family played a role in the story. It also addressed some difficult topics, like how black and Latina women are viewed differently (aka negatively, with words like feisty or angry) when they show emotion than white women, even if that emotion is warranted. This is an own voices novel, so it was great to see the inclusion of these things that the author herself has experienced. I loved Max's character and thought that he was an overall great guy, even though his brother Andrew was a legitimate piece of garbage. I also really loved seeing Lina become less guarded and more comfortable sharing pieces of herself when she found safe spaces to do so.

I would have loved a little more at the ending of the story, like an epilogue of sorts (even though I know some people hate them!) just to see where the characters are and how they're doing.

Overall Rating: 4 out of 5 Stars

Thanks so much to Avon for a finished copy of this read! The Worst Best Man by Mia Sosa just released this week, so be sure to pick up a copy!

7 comments

  1. You know you are engaged when you want more at the end ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems like a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a fun read. I've said that numerous times about predictable books, it's the build up that matters. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really fun. I do like this type of rom-com book a lot. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just my type of book. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That cover is so cute and this story sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amazing review, I've been seeing this book every where's and heard amazing reviews about it as well. Plus I love own voice books and this one looks and sounds like my kind of book that I would enjoy reading. I am really glad you fully enjoy reading this book. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete