Sourdough by Robin Sloan

Cover Art Courtesy of Goodreads
I've had this book in my possession for a while, but was never really motivated to pick it up. Last week, however, when I was looking for a short, light read, this one jumped out at me so I decided to give it a go. And it was SO GOOD. Sourdough by Robin Sloan is an adult contemporary with a few fantasy elements mixed in.

This story follows Lois, a software engineer living in San Francisco. Lois primarily subsides on food from a local sandwich shop, so she is distraught when it closes. That is, until the brothers who ran the shop bestow upon her the gift of their sourdough starter when they move away. But Lois knows nothing about baking bread. Through a comedy of errors, she learns to care for the sourdough starter and bake her own bread. Eventually, she even takes it as far as attempting to sell her bread at farmer's markets, and lands a spot in a futuristic, experimental farmer's market that opens her eyes to a whole new world.

This book was just so good. From the somewhat magical sourdough starter to the Mazg brothers and their odd music, and the experimental farmer's market to the Lois club, everything in this book was an enjoyable inclusion. I loved getting to see Lois thrive by doing something that she loved in becoming a baker. I appreciated the inclusion of technology in everything, including the pros and cons that go with that. And all the side characters in this story really brought something of their own to the table. It's short, at only 259 pages, and reads extremely quickly.

And this book passes the Bechdel Test, which is always a plus.

While I am not nearly ambitious enough to try to bake my own sourdough bread, I DID go out to Whole Foods and buy a loaf after finishing this read.

If you love bread and baking, integrating technology into our everyday lives,  farmer's markets, or bread starters that might possibly have a mind of their own, this book is for you. 

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars

9 comments

  1. LOL - I had to Google Bechdel Test

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, this looks awesome! Adding it to my TBR now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one is new. Thanks for sharing. I love the sound of it

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book sounds amazing, I'm heading off to Amazon to have a look for it. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of those books I've seen around but never read the description of. Sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes we just need a good short read between our longer reads.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books with strong side characters. I would give this a chance.

    Gayathri @ Elgee Writes

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, and now I want sourdough bread.

    ReplyDelete