Verity by Colleen Hoover

Cover Art Courtesy of Goodreads
Just like Christina Lauren, Colleen Hoover has been an author I've been avoiding because of the "romance" label. But after really enjoying one of Christina Lauren's books, and hearing that this read was super creepy, I decided to give Verity by Colleen Hoover a try - romance be damned. AND I LOVED IT. Definite trigger warning on this one though for the death of a child(ren).

Writer Lowen Ashleigh is taken aback when she is approached about helping finish a popular book series after the author, Verity Crawford, was in an accident. Lowen reluctantly accepts, desperate for money but shunning any attention she might get from undertaking this project. In the spirit of research, she is invited to the Crawford family home by Verity's handsome and charming husband Jeremy. Here she finds out much more than she bargained for, from the extent of Verity's condition to the desire Lowen is developing for Jeremy, and some sordid information about the family's tragic past that completely changes her perspective entirely. 

This book was incredible! I was legitimately terrified to the point that I couldn't read this book before bed. That so rarely happens to me that I'm completely shocked and impressed when it does, but I hate it because I want to keep reading but mentally have to wait until the day time. This story is told in different points of view, alternating between Lowen's thoughts and Verity's hidden autobiography manuscript. It was such a mind-F, and shocked me time and time again.

I do think Lowen was a pretty naive character, and I thought the ending was a bit hurried, but these things didn't bother me enough to knock off a star. Lowen's back story was very interesting and unique, and I honestly would have loved to know even more about it.

I believe this would make a fantastic movie if the raunchiness was reined in a little. It was a lot heavier on the romance than I tend to like, but somehow the creepy plot cancelled it out. Had it been less creepy, the level of smut probably would have been too much for me. Not sure if I'll read any more of Colleen Hoover's books for that reason, but I'm very glad I gave this one a try. If she does anything else along this thriller vein though, I will definitely pick it up! 

The hype around this book is absolutely real, so if you have debating picking it up I would definitely recommend going for it!

Overall Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

11 comments

  1. Sounds like a good one!
    Noor Anand Chawla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a book I'd heard of before but I do like the sound of it. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the creep factor in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this one a lot. I thought some of the smut could've been reined in at times because it got a little redundant but the thriller aspect was awesome. Great twist too.

    www.tbrandbeyond.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this one on my Kindle but haven't gotten to it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. Haven’t read her books yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe I still haven't read one of her books. And I didn't realize she did creepier books. I thought they were more light/romancey. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds really interesting! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this book also and loved it!

    ReplyDelete